Saturday, June 02, 2012

Brown butter blackberry granola muffins

I had bought some blackberries, thinking to eat them with yogurt and granola for breakfast. However, I had forgotten all about them, and by the time I remembered that they were still in the fridge, they were looking a little too ripe. I needed to use them asap.

My muffins stash had ran out at the same time, thus I thought that I could just use them in a new muffin batch.

Brown butter blackberry granola muffins


I played around with the recipe I chose in the end, as usual, substituting and adding ingredients where I deem appropriate. The end results were moist, fruity, (relatively) healthy muffins jam packed with oats flour, oats and granola. Three kinds of oats. See? It's healthy, isn't it?

I like that these muffins weren't overly sweet, and if you have a sweet tooth, I recommend not adding more sugar, but pairing a fruity (berry or peach recommended!) jam or even lemon curd with it. I tried it both ways, and loved both - the fruity jam provided additional sweetness to the breakfast treat, while the lemon curd provided the perfect balance of sweet and tangy to complement the muffin.

My current muffin stash is running dangerously low again (evidence of how these were really tasty). Guess I'll need to whip up more muffins again! I wonder what I should make next...

Very ripe blackberries


Brown butter blackberry granola muffins (adapted loosely from Baking: From My Home to Yours)
(makes nine muffins)
113g unsalted butter
170g sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk (or milk)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
100g plain flour
100g wheat flour
50g oat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp (6g) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1g) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
3/4 cup oats
1 cup frozen blackberries
granola (optional)

Preheat oven to 200C.
Brown the butter over the stove, remove from heat and leave to cool.
Add the dry ingredients (flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and oats) to one bowl, whisk lightly to combine.
Combine butter, sugar and milk in another bowl and whisk to mix. Whisk in eggs and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl. Give it a few whisks, be careful not to overstir (it's okay if there are still flour streaks in the batter). Fold in the berries and gently give it another few stirs. Again, don't overfold the batter.
Divide the batter into muffin cases. (I like mine to have pretty muffin tops, thus I filled them almost all the way to the top of the case.)
Press granola gently onto the tops of the muffins. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. These muffins look so yummy! and really healthy too ;)
    I love making muffins too coz they are so simple! I'm thinking of making some today actually.. since we have some leftover blueberries and frozen raspberries.. and a bunch of bananas too ^^ Maybe you can try and make berry and banana muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe i should! banana and berry is always a good combo. i've tried it before and liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...