Sunday, December 09, 2012

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake (イチゴのショートケーキ)

It's been a sad weekend. I mean, I had a great time at work on Friday in the afternoon, primarily because we had a carnival of some sort, and everyone basically just chilled out playing some simple childhood games, and nomming on ice cream, popcorn, candy floss and kachang puteh (the theme was "Childhood Carnival"). But, I had been feeling a lil under the weather since Thursday, so I reckon the activities on Friday just pushed me over the edge and I was seriously sick by Saturday morning. I must have gone through a whole tissue box, and my nose was still dripping like a faucet. Sigh.

Anyway, enough on moping. I made a strawberry shortcake again last month for the Dad's birthday (that's four straight years). Sigh. I know. And after all that I had said I wouldn't be baking it again this year...

 Japanese Strawberry Shortcake (イチゴのショートケーキ)


I guess I'm a sucker for finding the perfect shortcake recipe. Anyway, this year's recipe for the shortcake was really good. I had high hopes for the cake cos the end result turned out a cake so cottony soft and perfect. Also, the cake did not rise and dome in the center.

Alas, the overall result was a too wet cake. I'm used to adding a simple syrup to cakes cos  cakes do have the tendency to dry out in the fridge. But, for this recipe, there actually wasn't a need to do so cos the cake was so moist already. So my step of brushing the cake liberally with syrup was a big failure (thus the less than pretty innards). I've omitted the recipe and step of the simple syrup in the recipe below, as that will be what I recommend (and most likely try again the next time I try this recipe).


And here's a shot of the pretty bouquet my colleague got for me for my birthday - all pretty in shades of pinks and purples. I do love receiving flowers. Even with the knowledge that they wither after a while, I reckon I'm happy because for that short span of time when they are resplendent in bloom; they are so beautiful.

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake (イチゴのショートケーキ) 
(makes one 7 inch cake)

Shortcake recipe > here

Macerated strawberries
350g strawberries, hulled and diced
1-2 tbsp sugar (depending on how sweet your strawberries are)

Toss the diced strawberries together with the sugar.
Place in fridge to macerate at least 30 minutes.

Stabilised whipped cream
1 tbsp gelatin powder
4 tbsp cold water
3 cups whipping cream, cold
90g icing sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla

Chill mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Put the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and let stand for 5 minutes. Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature.
Remove mixing bowl and beaters from freezer. In the mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and whip until slightly thickened. Then, while beating slowly, gradually pour the gelatin into the whipped cream mixture. Then whip the mixture at high speed until slightly stiff. Use immediately to frost the cake.

Assemble
Steps as > here

3 comments:

  1. Hello! First of all I would like to remark that you sure have made a gorgeous domain. In addition to that I want to ask you a question which is highly important to me. Did you take place in some competitions among bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelle, I noticed you have 2 version of the stabalized whipped cream, here and http://vintagetrinkets.blogspot.sg/2010/11/strawberry-shortcake_07.html.
    May I know which do you prefer, and are there any difference?
    Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi the recipe is the same - i only scaled the recipe to make more cream. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...