Saturday, February 09, 2013

Sour Cream Waffles

It's the Lunar New Year. So Happy CNY to all of you folks out there! Enjoy the holidays and feast all you want. It's an once a year affair and you more than deserve it. (You can always diet again after that.)

Sour Cream Waffles with Triple Berries Sauce


I had gotten myself a waffle machine a while back in December when I happened to see that it was going for sale at just S$29.90. Imagine me in the shop: my excitement at the price, followed immediately by the internal debate on whether I really needed one (yeah, as you can tell, the evil inner one trumped). 

It lay sad and unused for a few weeks, before I thought of breaking into it. The first time I used it, it was because I had some leftover sour cream in the house, and was wondering what I could do with it. It was the weekend soon, so I knew I certainly can afford the time to whip up some breakfast treat with it. Pancakes? Muffins? Waffles? *lightbulb moment*


Sour cream waffles

The Sis thought that the waffle itself was just a bit tangy - probably due to the use of sour cream in the batter. I thought it was fine, cos paired with the sweet tart triple berries compote I whipped up to pair with the waffles, I couldn't really detect the tang.

I love berry compotes for pancakes and waffles and often just throw together something without any recipe. It often involves fresh berries which I had frozen at their prime (mixture of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries were used for this post), a squirt of lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, dash of cinnamon (optional), and some cornstarch mixed with water at the end.


I can't wait to experiment with more recipes. Till then, enjoy!


Sour Cream Waffles with Triple Berries Sauce (adapted from here)
(makes 9 waffles)

60g AP flour
62g whole-wheat pastry flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
95g eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
56g butter melted and cooled

Preheat waffle iron.
Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream, and then add the eggs.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir till just combined. Fold in the butter.
Butter the waffle iron generously to avoid batter from sticking onto the waffle iron.
Ladle batter onto the waffle iron and cook until the waffles are a light golden brown, depending on your waffle machine (I cooked mine for about 6-8 minutes, flipping once). Keep cooked waffles warm on a platter in the oven.
Repeat with rest of the batter, buttering the waffle iron everytime.
Serve waffles with berries compote. Or maple syrup.

5 comments:

  1. I have a waffle maker, but they're really thin heart shaped ones. WHY didn't I buy belgian waffle makers in the first place!!! This looks totally delish, I might try them our using my waffle maker soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoho i guess it doesnt matter what waffle machine u have...as long as u have one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! this is an excellent way to use up some leftover sour cream! :) I love berry compotes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound AMAZING! I keep finding reasons to need a waffle iron, and this is adding to the list! Such a delicious breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...