Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Mango Mousse Cake

My fave social media platform has got to be Instagram. While I'm still on Facebook and Twitter, I'm not really active on both except for using them as means to keep myself updated on the latest gossip vine. Instagram on the other hand, is different. People are visual creatures by nature, the overused phrase "a picture speaks more than a thousand words" is certainly true here. I love browsing Instagram, and I'm almost kinda an Instagram addict. When I'm bored, I reach for my phone to check on my Instagram feed most of the time.

There's so many talented photographers out there who have really beautiful Instagram feeds with their pictures of food, coffee, scenery, fashion etc. I've found that the foodies community in Singapore is actually quite big, split evenly between those who cook really well at home, and those who dine out at the latest hot spots. One of the Instagram user I currently follow is @discotilldawn. She had a really delish looking mango cake recipe up on her blog and I knew I wanted to try making it myself as the Dad loves mangoes and is always suggesting mango flavoured desserts.

 Mango Mousse Cake

Different types of mangoes

It's probably the season for mangoes now, for I've seen quite a few varieties at the supermart. I decided that I was going to make a mango cake, just because. No special reason why.


I halved the recipe and made a miniature cake. The sponge baked up beautifully, as seen above. I didn't fare so well with the mango mousse. I had three types of mangoes in the fridge, but I probably chose the least sweet out of the three to make the mango mousse. Just my luck (not). The mango mousse was quite bland, and I had to add vanilla and sugar to make it taste better. My error for not tasting the mangoes before pureeing it, so please please please, a key thing to do is to taste your mangoes before making the mousse!


I decided to top the cake with more mangoes (the sweeter variety this time round to make up for the lack of judgement with the mousse). Just because I could, I whipped out my blowtorch to have some fun.

The family thought that the cake was not too sweet (which is a plus point). If I make this again, I'll probably add an extra step of a simple syrup glaze for the cake to add moisture while the cake is refrigerated. The cake was just a tad dry after refrigeration. I had some leftover bits and pieces which I stuffed into two shot glasses. The verrines on the other hand, were perfectly fine, probably cos the cake bits were smothered in the mousse and kept moist.


Mango Mousse Cake (adapted from Dawn at Dodgydumpling)
(makes a two layer five inch cake)

Sponge cake
68g cake flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs, separated
40g + 30g castor sugar
50ml milk
24g corn oil
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift baking soda and cake flour, set aside.
Beat egg whites till soft peaks, gradually add 40g sugar and beat till stiff peaks form.
In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and 30g sugar till thick and fluffy pale yellow. Mix in milk, corn and vanilla.
Fold dry flour ingredients into the egg yolk mixture and mix till welll combined.
Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture slowly.
Grease and line two 5" cake rings and divide batter equally into the two cake rings.
Bake 170C for 20-25 minutes and till it passes the clean skewer test.
Set aside to cool completely.

Mango mousse
9g gelatin powder
30g hot water
175ml whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
150g mango puree, room temperature
2 tbsp castor sugar (optional - depends on how sweet the mangoes are)
1 tsp rum (optional)

Dissolve gelatin powder in hot water. Add to mango puree, mix to combine. Stir in rum and sugar.
Combine cream and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Whip till soft stiff peaks stage.
Fold mango puree mixture into whipped cream and mix well till incorporated.
Refrigerate for 45 minutes before using.

Assemble
Slice and remove the tops of the cakes.
Spread a layer of mango mousse atop one cake.
Stack with the other cake. Spread remaining mango mousse onto the top of the cake, top with mango cubes.
Torch the top of the mango cubes (optional).
Refrigerate for another hour.
Slice and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh these are just gorgeous! I'm so intrigued by mango cake. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative idea! cannot wait to see what happens after you
    tinker with it again! it sounds like it would be super amazingly
    delicious as is - it is like you rolled all my favorite things into one
    wonderful concoction.

    Maycee (Windows Software Download)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...