Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blueberry Streusel Cake

I've been meaning to make these for the longest time ever since I saw the post. My freezer always has a long-standing box of fresh blueberries that I've prepped and froze for future uses. I decided to make this finally and all I can think is - Why did I wait so long?

Blueberry Streusel Cake



What's there not to like? It's cake. With fruits (your needed fruit intake for the day!). Topped with streusel (is there any soul out there that can resist streusel? Seriously?!?).


It's pretty much something akin to a coffee cake (I assume). Not that I've ever baked a coffee cake or tasted one that is called as so. I never understand why coffee cakes are called coffee cakes when they not necessarily contains coffee of any sort, and is usually named as so because they are often eaten together with coffee. I guess you can also bake it in a round tin and call it a coffee cake if you wish. Sometimes, the various ways on how you can name a dish baffles me. Snorts.

Taste wise, I liked how the cake was soft and moist, with little bursts of blueberries in each mouth. I don't get why the blueberries sank to the bottom though. It would have been nicer if I could have gotten the berries to be evenly "suspended" within the cake itself. If you know what I mean. And the streusel oh the streusel. Grace was right when she said to use all the streusel topping.  Loved it.

The cake goes well with coffee. Milk tea too I guess. It makes for a lovely breakfast or tea-time treat. I would definitely make this again next time.


Blueberry Streusel Cake (adapted from Grace at Piggy's Cooking Journal)
(makes one 8" square cake)

Streusel
65g light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
113g unsalted butter, melted
pinch of salt
150g plain flour

Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
Add melted butter, then salt and flour. Mix well with each addition. Spread on a plate, set aside in fridge to cool while you prepare the cake batter.

Cake
85g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g castor sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
lemon zest from one lemon
2/3 cup vanilla yogurt
140g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen is fine)
icing sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 175C.
Grease and line a 8" square pan with baking paper.
In a clean bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Rub lemon zest into sugar in another bowl, add butter, beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beat until just combined.
Add vanilla extract and yogurt. Mix until well combined.
Sift the dry ingredients over the batter. With the mixer set on low speed, mix until combined.
Fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter into the baking paper lined pan. Use fingers to break streusel into small chunks, sprinkle evenly on top of the batter. Press the streusel pieces down slightly onto the cake batter.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake turns out clean.                                                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...