Friday, September 13, 2013

Chocolate Waffles with Nutella Espresso Sauce

I love waffles. So it's really no surprise that I whip out my waffle machine (that I got last year) whenever possible. For my homemade breakfasts/brunches at home, one of my favourite dish to prep is either waffles or pancakes as the "carbs" dish.

Chocolate Waffles with Nutella Espresso Sauce



I made these waffles a few months back for an impromptu breakfast at home. Even though the Sis is not a huge fan of waffles, I know exactly what flavours (namely chocolate or matcha) to make to get her to say okay to waffles. I decided to make breakfast slightly healthier by substituting some of the plain flour with wholemeal flour and flax seed meal. With the additions, it did make the waffles slightly heavier in terms of texture, but I do like the heavier texture that wholemeal flour (and flax seed meal) add to baked goods. Of course, that means that you don't have to eat as many slices to fill up. Please ignore the below plating portion of three slices per pax, I was actually quite full after two slices.

Drizzled with some homemade Nutella espresso sauce and some fresh fruits (I used banana, but I reckon strawberries would be great as well), it made for a decadent chocolate-y breakfast. I mean, who can resist chocolate, coupled with Nutella for breakfast? I know I certainly can't...


Chocolate Waffles with Nutella Espresso Sauce 
(makes 11 waffles)

Chocolate waffles (adapted from Annie at Annie Eats)
105g all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (20g) flaxseed meal
40g wholemeal flour
3 tbsp (50g) sugar
60g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
3 large eggs, seperated
56g butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
¾ cup mini chocolate chips
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat the waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the oven to 200˚ F.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk to blend.
In another bowl combine the egg yolks, butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Whisk to blend well.
Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl till stiff peaks.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
Fold in the egg whites gently. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
Grease and fill the waffle iron with batter and cook until the waffle is cooked (depending on your waffle machine - mine took about 6.5 minutes)
Transfer cooked waffles to the preheated oven and repeat until all the batter has been used.
Serve warm with nutella espresso sauce and sliced fruits.

Nutella Espresso Sauce (adapted from Marcie at Flavor the Moment)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cream (I used half cream, half milk cos I ran out of cream)
1/2 cup nutella
1/2 tsp instant espresso granules
1 tsp vanilla

Heat cream in saucepan over gentle heat.
Once reach just boiling stage, add nutella and espresso. Stir to combine till mixture is smooth.
Remove from heat and add vanilla.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...