Friday, November 22, 2013

Cornflakes Crusted French Toast with Roasted Balsamic Vanilla Strawberries

It's almost the end of November, and it's been quite a busy month. It's my birthday month first of all! Sad to say, it was quite a sad birthday this year as I was sick. I met up with some friends for a birthday brunch over the weekend (my birthday's on a Tuesday this year), and it was during brunch that I started developing flu symptoms. I glugged like tons of water but I guess it was too late, and on Monday, I was in full blown flu mode. The Doc gave me two days MC, so I was on MC on my birthday. Ha! It's my first time being sick on my birthday, so needless to say, it was quite miserable in a way.

I had several activities planned for the week, but cos I was ill, I had to reshuffle a few dates here and there, and even when I met my friends, I had to avoid certain foods. I hate being sick because I normally don't fall sick easily, but when I do, I take quite some time to get well. I can safely say I am just about feeling quite alright now (it took like around two weeks omg!).

Besides my birthday, November's pretty much a birthday month for those around me too. Unfortunately, I didn't stick to the tradition of baking a strawberry shortcake for the Dad (as I did for the past three years). I had plans to bake a rum raisin cake for him this year, but I didn't manage to in the end. Oh well, next year perhaps.

The weekend's here again, so let's celebrate with some weekend brunch-worthy dish. French toast. Cornflakes crusted French toast to be exact.

 Cornflakes Crusted French Toast with Roasted Balsamic Vanilla Strawberries


I was inspired by Dean and Deluca's cornflakes crusted French toast (read post here). I thought that it was a brilliant pairing between the soft fluffy brioche, and the crunchy cornflakes topping, and I knew I wanted to try making it myself at home.





I picked up a loaf of French sourdough from a bakery, and used it for my experiment here. I'd actually recommend that perhaps a better loaf would be a brioche loaf of some sort as it would be softer and fluffier? While yummy, the sourdough crust was a tad too tough after I reheated the cooked French toast in the oven.


I served the dish with some oven roasted balsamic vanilla strawberries and yogurt and it was da bomb seriously. Or you could simply add some butter and maple syrup too. I would think it would taste equally good. Can't wait to make the dish again with a brioche loaf to see if a different bread affects the taste of the dish.

Happy weekend folks.

Instagram-med

Cornflake Crusted French Toast with Roasted Balsamic Vanilla Strawberries
(serves 4)

Roasted Balsamic Vanilla Strawberries
2 punnets (500g) strawberries, washed and hulled
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
55g (1/4 cup) sugar

Preheat oven to 200C.
Slice berries in half (or smaller if desired), ensuring that the pieces are roughly the same size.
Place in bowl, toss with vanilla, balsamic vinegar and sugar to coat thoroughly.
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Spread the strawberries in an even layer on the tray.
Roast for about 10 -15 minutes or until strawberries have released their juices.
Remove from oven, cool, transfer to jar and refrigerate if not using immediately.

Cornflakes Crusted French Toast
5 cups corn flakes, crushed
1 loaf pain de campagne, sliced into thick rounds
2-3  large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
butter, for greasing pan

Place crushed cornflakes crumbs in a plate and set aside.
Mix eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl.
Dip a slice of bread into the eggs custard to coat it thoroughly. Let the excess egg custard drip back into the bowl.
Next, transfer it onto the plate of crushed cornflakes, coating both sides with the cornflakes crumbs evenly.
Place onto a wire rack set on a baking tray (to catch any stray crumbs).
Repeat with remaining bread slices.
Grease pan with butter over stove set on med low heat.
Place bread slices into pan to cook, 4 - 5 minutes per side or till cornflakes crumbs turn slightly brown. Flip and cook for another 4 - 5 minutes. Repeat till all bread slices are cooked.
Serve hot immediately with additional condiments like roasted balsamic vanilla strawberries and yogurt. Or drizzle maple syrup and more butter. Or with whatever floats your boat seriously.

3 comments:

  1. That looks phenomenal Michelle! R

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great combination! Looks very good =]

    I'm having a big sale on my Blog Design store (themes, logos, etc): 35% OFF, only until Dec 31st! If you want to start 2014 with a design makeover, this is your chance!

    - Link: http://gloriah.storenvy.com

    I also offer other services, like building slideshows - Don's hesitate to contact me and tell me what you want =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...