Saturday, January 11, 2014

Liege Waffles

It's been quite a long while since I last post a recipe. That does not mean I've not been pottering about my kitchen though. It just means my backlogs are increasing. Snorts.

 Liege Waffles


I made these waffles last year (yes, omg, I can't use the term 'a few months ago', well technically I still can, but 'last year' highlights my sloth more). There are many many kinds of waffles out there, but these liege waffles are a special kind of waffles (to me at least).


I love waffles. Especially those that are airy and light and fluffy thick. But I also love the sweet chewy kind, with a sorta crunchy crust that I related to those I ate in Bangkok when I was last there. After coming across quite a few liege waffles recipes, I realised that those lil treats were liege waffles. Liege waffles are different to regular waffles in the sense that the batter involves yeast. Yups, it's a yeasted waffle alright. That means slightly more work, as you need to let the batter sit to proof for a bit before use.

I actually left the batter to proof overnight in the fridge, and it turned out beautifully so. I didn't have a special liege waffle iron. I got mine cheap when it was on sale, and it's this waffle iron here. To get the round shape, when rolling the balls from the waffle batter, remember to make sure that each ball is smaller than the final desired size, as the batter will expand in the waffle iron.



I've actually made these waffles twice now. It's not the best liege waffles I've ever eaten, but it's pretty decent and easy to whip up, and I love the cinnamon taste of the waffles. I hope I get the chance to experiment with a new liege waffles recipe soon. Till then.


Liege Waffles (adapted from here)
7g active dry yeast
1/3 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 tbsp granulated white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
220g flour
3 eggs
225g melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup Belgian pearl sugar* (optional)

Mix the yeast, water, sugar and salt in a bowl and let it develop or sit for 15 minutes.
Place the flour in a separate large mixing bowl and make a well in the center of the flour.
Pour the yeast mixture into the well and using clean beaters, mix until blended on medium speed.
Add the eggs (one at a time), melted butter gradually, followed by vanilla and cinnamon. Be sure to mix well after each addition to the batter.
Wrap the bowl with cling wrap, set aside to let the dough rest until it doubles in volume inside the bowl for about 1-2 hours. (I refrigerated my dough overnight and let it rest on the counter to come to room temp the next morning.)
Gently fold in the pearl sugar* (if using) and let the dough rest for 15 more minutes.
While the dough is resting, heat the waffle iron.
Spoon a ball of dough into the center of a lightly greased waffle iron. Waffles will take 6 to 8 minutes to bake (depends on your waffle iron).

** I didn't have pearl sugar on hand, so I pressed the balls of dough into some raw sugar before placing it onto the waffle iron. This is an entirely optional step too, but it adds a caramelised coat to the waffles, which I kinda like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...