Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Five-Bananas Banana Blueberry Bread

You might find me updating the blog every other day for the next few days. No reason other than I finally decided to kick (some of the) dust off my idle hands and stop being the master procrastinator I am by editing some of the photos I have on hand. You have no idea how it scared me when I slotted my camera memory card into the laptop recently and found that it had over 2000 new photos. And that's so not including my travels 2014 photos  and various other photos  which I've already transfered onto my laptop. -insert awestruck face- That's like bringing procrastination to a whole new level by itself hey.

Banana Blueberry Bread


I've been baking regularly, if you follow me on Instagram, you should know that well. I veer towards easy stuff most of the times now instead of complicated entremets. As you grow older, there are simply more stuff to be done, and I don't think I can afford the 2-3 days effort I used to allocate for baking entremets. Perhaps I'll attempt one by end 2014. *fingers crossed*

Anyway. Blueberries were in season a month or more so ago. And boy were they in season for a darn long time. The prices just kept going down, and the cheapest I got them were like three punnets for $6.99? And they stayed that price for the longest time I swear. Every time I popped by the supermart, I would go away with at least three boxes of them. And that's even when I know for sure there are a couple of more punnets still in the fridge at home. I just couldn't resist! Blueberries! Antioxidents! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.


You'll see plenty of blueberry posts in the future (that's when I update the photos). I froze them, ate them with my granola, made blueberry sauce for my pancakes, made ice cream, and of course, threw them whenever I can into my bakes.

This here, is a relatively easy blueberry banana bread recipe. I like that it's not too sweet, even with quite a bit of sugar. The texture was very more-ish, as I had subbed half the flour with whole wheat flour and some flaxseed meal to make it healthier. I would consider substituting the melted butter with applesauce if I make it again.

I also liked how it was very moist, yet without being greasy. The banana taste was very apparent, as I had used very very ripe bananas. But of course, because this is one recipe that used a whopping 2½ cups of mashed bananas. Perfect if there's a whole bunch of uber ripened bananas just lying around the house...

If I really gotta fault, there was just a lil something missing. Perhaps a little more cinnamon or a little more salt? Other than that, it really is one very good banana bread.


Five-Bananas Banana Blueberry Bread (adapted from Averie at Averie Cooks)
56g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
120g sugar
115g brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
¼ cup greek yogurt
2½ cups mashed bananas (about 5 med-large bananas)
180g AP flour
80g whole wheat flour
20g flaxseed meal
2 tsp cornstarch
1½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (*would try with 2 tsp the next time I make it)
¼ tsp salt (*would try with ½ tsp the next time I make it)
1½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 170C.
Combine melted butter, eggs, sugars, yogurt and vanilla in a bowl and whisk well.
Add the mashed bananas.
Combine flours, flaxseed meal, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Sift the mixture once.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk lightly to combine.
Fold in the blueberries.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake 60 - 75 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean. Baking times may vary, so do check every 5 minutes or so after the 60 minutes mark if you don't want to overbake your loaf. If your loaf is turning too dark on the top, tent with aluminium foil.
Remove from oven, cool on rack in tin for half an hour before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...