Monday, September 22, 2014

Japanese-styled Matcha Granola

I spotted a delivery man at the office lobby today. This is a normal sight isn't it? A delivery man, during office hours, at a work place. However, he was a lil different from the usual delivery man. I noticed him primarily because of what he was delivering.

Matcha granola

It was just after lunch hour, thus there wasn't many people milling around the lobby. He looked a touch lost, and was looking around as if to spot his intended target. I moved by to head to the carpark to drop off my gym gear. When I walked by again five minutes later, he was still standing in the same spot. The bouquet of rainbow gerberas still in his hand. Awwww. I would have loved to be his intended target. Haha.

Gerberas were my favourite flowers previously, before I discovered the beauty of peonies. It's nice isn't it? That someone had thought to send his significant other some flowers. *swoon* It could be for a birthday, an anniversary, or even just a random out of the blue gesture. Who knows. I just hope that someday, my significant other (whereever he might be) will surprise me with flowers too. :)


Anyway, I digress. We're here to talk about granola. Yes, more granola. I'm like a granola machine. The rate I finish my granola is almost as fast as I can make them. Chomp chomp chomp.



I love matcha so it's no surprise I would add it to everything and anything I make (if possible).I was in Japan earlier this year, and had managed to snag a few Japanese snacks, such as the honey roasted black beans and dried sweet potatoes pictured below. I had saw a matcha granola recipe just a few days before and knew I had wanted to get these goodies to throw into my granola too.



I only got around to making this matcha granola a few months after my Japan trip. I loved how the matcha seeped into the milk/yogurt I poured it into, imparting a faint matcha flavour to the liquid. However, I did thought that the matcha taste was a lil too bitter. Perhaps I had added too much matcha powder? I would perhaps recommend using 1-1.5 tbsp matcha instead of the 2 tbsp I had used in the recipe, but it's up to one's personal taste of course.


Japanese-styled Matcha Granola (adapted from Chika at She Who Eats)
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup multigrain puffs
1/2 cup macadamias, chopped
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp matcha (*I recommend using 1-1.5tbsp)
3 tbsp coconut oil
5 tbsp maple syrup
pinch of salt
1/2 cup dried sweet potato, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup roasted honey black beans (optional)

Preheat oven to 120C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
Spread the rolled oats over the lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven, leaving the oven on.
Pour the pre-baked oats into a large bowl, and add the multigrain puffs, chopped macadamias and various seeds. Add the matcha and toss the mixture well. Add the oil, maple syrup and salt, and mix thoroughly.
Spread the mixture back onto the lined baking sheet, and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until dry (but not browned), stirring once or twice every 7 minutes or so.
Remove from oven. Cool completely before adding the chopped dried sweet potato and roasted honey black beans. Store in airtight container. Serve with milk, yogurt and fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...