Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Mango Coconut Loaf

Loaf cakes are one of the easiest things to bake. The most common loaf-type of cake would probably be banana cake (although it's normally called banana bread - I prefer calling it banana cake because it is not really a bread). When I chanced upon a recipe for a mango loaf cake, I was intrigued because I have yet to encounter a fruit-type loaf recipe which was not banana-based.

Mango Coconut Loaf

Mise en place

I was clearing out the freezer at the same time, by blitzing up some mango cubes that I had frozen a while back when mangoes were in season. The amount of mango puree I had fell a little short of what the recipe required, so I made it up by adding a little yogurt into the recipe.

I like how the loaf didn't rise up too much (most of the loaf cakes I bake tend to have a very raised top) and had a flat top. The resulting loaf was very pleasantly moist, and quite more-ish. The taste was not too sweet, and the coconut flakes added a very nice textural bite. I can't really taste the mango flavour, so I would recommend folding in some mango cubes into the batter to enhance the mango flavour.




Mango Coconut Loaf (adapted from Jennifer at Milk & Honey)
(makes one 9" x 4" loaf)

125g unsalted butter, softened
175g light brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
225g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
65g sweetened coconut flakes
45g rice syrup + 45g honey (or 90g corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla paste
230g mango puree
4 tbsp vanilla yogurt

Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease a 9" x 4" loaf pan and line with baking paper. Set aside.
Place butter and sugar in a large bowl, and beat with electric mixer on medium for 5 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
Add the corn syrup, honey, mango puree and yogurt to the batter, beat for a minute till combined. Fold in the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared greased pan and bake for 50 - 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan before slicing to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...